Steven C. Mayer Attorney at Law has helped individuals and families find solutions that work for them and their children in family law matters. Steve and his staff are extremely supportive and are fully aware and sensitive to the emotional nature and importance of family law issues.

  • Adoption
  • Divorce
  • Child Support
  • Child Custody
  • Paternity Testing
  • Debt (Asset and Property Division)
  • Alimony, Spousal Support or Maintenance
  • Orders for Protection (Domestic Violence)



divorceFamily law litigation is sometimes the only way to resolve a family law issue. When that proves to be the case Steven C. Mayer Attorney at Law will provide you with aggressive representation for favorable results. There are many instances where mediation is the better choice in resolving family law issues. Steven C. Mayer Attorney at Law is skilled at negotiating and settling cases. Working toward mutually agreeable solutions, Steven C. Mayer helps his clients settle disputes related to child custody, visitation schedules and post-divorce modification issues without what can be otherwise costly litigation.

Common Questions:

Q: What are my rights in a divorce case?
A: Both parties to a divorce have many rights. What your final outcome is depends on the specific facts to your case.

Q: Is it possible to get a divorce without knowing where the other party is?
A: If you know the community where the other party is living, they can be served via publication under Trial Rule 4.13.

Q. How long does the divorce process usually take?
A: Once a divorce is filed, you have to wait 60 days before the court can finalize the divorce.The court can issue temporary orders as soon as the divorce is filed, but the actual divorce and final orders cannot be done until 60 days have passed since the date the divorce was filed. It could take longer than 60 days, depending on the issues of your case and the court’s schedule.

Q: What do you have to prove to get a divorce?
A: Indiana has “no fault” divorce, which means you don’t have to prove either spouse did anything wrong to get a divorce. (A divorce is sometimes called “dissolution of marriage”; both mean the same thing). The spouse who wants a divorce just has to tell the court that the marriage is “irretrievably broken” to get a divorce. There is really nothing the other spouse can do to stop a divorce.